Thursday, May 04, 2006

Pancakes

HELP!!!!1!11 Your system is broken!

Uh-huh.

None of the graphics are being transmitted! Everything works in Development but Production is down! We followed the guide exactly!

I'm believe you.

OK, send me the Web server information and log as well as the logs from $OurBigApp. Also send me a full directory listing for the Web server. Oh, and a screenshot while you're at it. You never know.

Sure enough, the Web logs showed error 404s (file not found) for most graphic files. I looked at the directory listing and the graphics were in their directories. The screenshot showed few of our graphics being displayed properly, like the splash screen and some arrows.

And then it hit me.


* * *

Despite some strict rules (or rather, thanks to the lax enforcement of them), I occasionally send mails around with a few fun links or an appropriate picture gleaned from some site or another that I waste my employer's time reading.

One time I thought I'd embedded a picture in a reply to a mail beggin for someone to please take a ticket for a problem no one knew anything about.


pancake bunny
Except I hadn't embedded the picture. Windows was helpful so while I actually saw the picture in the mail before hitting send, no one else could access the shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\REC\Desktop\pics\pancake_bunny.jpg.

* * *

I asked the customer to send me the Web templates. Sure enough, they were full of "C:\Documents and Settings\JoeBlow\My Pictures\$OurBigApp\Graphics\*". The twit had made new templates with Dreamweaver or something similar and had used drag-n-drop to add new images.

It would've been a lot funnier if he'd saved the graphics to a shared directory on his notebook computer. The LoadRunner testing would've smoked his laptop's drive.

Root Cause: 17-Fuckwit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

In compliance with $MegaCorp's general policies as well as my desire to
continue living under a roof and not the sky or a bus shelter, I add this:

DISCLAIMER:
The views expressed on this blog are my own and
do not necessarily reflect the views of $MegaCorp, even if every
single one of my cow-orkers who has discovered this blog agrees with me
and would also like to see the implementation of Root Cause: 17-Fuckwit.