Friday, July 04, 2008

Training II: LOL Nazis

So I'm sitting through another day of Stuff I Already Know and the teacher, a nice enough Genoan guy who mangles both German and English without prejudice is going over the new syntax and abilities in 11g. We're dropping tables but wait! There's a foreign key! What to do?

My response didn't go over so well.

The blonde is killing me, constantly looking over at me and smiling, looking longer than is normal. She's not drop-dead gorgeous but there's something about her I can't get over. I'm sitting uncomfortably through classes with a constant reduced cranial bloodflow that I haven't experienced since puberty. Chances to talk, however, aren't taken and she quickly kills my attempts at conversation. I even ate with her in the shit canteen (and paid the price for it later) in order to give it a go. No dice.

Anyway, when discussing databases in German you don't talk about "parent" and "child" but rather "mother" and "daughter" tables. It's less awkward than trying to translate the English constructs directly since "parent" is rarely used here in the singular and no matter how you combine "child" and "table", the result sounds bad. So Muttertabelle and Tochtertabelle it is.

And Giacomo went on talking about altering tables as I tried to stay awake. Then he got to the "ON DELETE CASCADE" construct which when invoked, he explained, will not only remove1 the 'mother' table but take all the 'daughters' with it as well.

I didn't actually think about it, it just came out: "Ah, the Magda Goebbels method."

The temperature in the room dropped quickly. She's definitely not sleeping with me now.

1 It helps to know that the German word for "remove/delete" wrt to DB tables is extremely close to the one which means "extinguishing life"

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger -h pulled out a crayon and scribbled:

I assume many of those who read this blog regularly will find the joke funny. However, tight-ass Germans do not know what sense of humour is. One of my favorite jokes (about a paedophile and a child at night in a forest) never got appreciated by zee Germans.

05 July, 2008 11:19  
Anonymous Anonymous pulled out a crayon and scribbled:

Sacrificing the naughty in exchange for the funny, even if it was unintentional… I tip my hat to thee, sir.

06 July, 2008 12:56  
Blogger Yeti pulled out a crayon and scribbled:

An intelligent observation like bringing up Ma Goebbels will do the old chaff and the wheat routine, removing those that you are making interesting from those that actually are.

Of course sometimes you need chaffing. As an interim measure.

14 July, 2008 12:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home

In compliance with $MegaCorp's general policies as well as my desire to
continue living under a roof and not the sky or a bus shelter, I add this:

DISCLAIMER:
The views expressed on this blog are my own and
do not necessarily reflect the views of $MegaCorp, even if every
single one of my cow-orkers who has discovered this blog agrees with me
and would also like to see the implementation of Root Cause: 17-Fuckwit.