Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Persian Cats are Ticking Time Bombs

If you know of anyone with a Persian cat, tell that person to have the cat checked for PKD (Polycystic Kidney Disease). I've learned w-a-y too much about this disease in the past 72 hours and it's pretty fucking horrible. It's genetic, it's incurable and it's fatal, completely destroying the kidneys. Anyone with a Persian cat should only feed it specially formulated stuff which has lower protein and phosphorus, easing the load on the kidneys. All cats, really, but especially Persians.

I can't concentrate at work right now and I sure as hell don't feel like ranting except at the fucking vet in the US who never bothered to check the fucking cats for PKD during the seven years my mother regularly brought them in for check-ups, despite the fact that at least 1/3 of all Persians have this disease thanks to it being caused by a dominant gene, those fucking incompetents. Oh, and also the fucking breeder who never did any follow-up with owners and kept sending out litter after litter of these poor beasts born with a death sentence reading "End Stage Renal Failure within nine years" for $400-$5000 a pop. I've got her name somewhere and I'm calling the CFA.

For the record I despise breeders and their genetic "purebred" freaks; my mother wanted the damned cats for some reason, probably to keep her busy. When she died I inherited them and quickly grew very attached to them despite the high maintenance that defines the fucking breed. And now I'm losing them.

PKD info starting points:

This sucks, Beavis. I may be back in a couple days.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pulled out a crayon and scribbled:

As a cat lover for decades, never had the company of Persians though, I'm wishing you the best.

06 September, 2007 02:14  
Blogger ReallyEvilCanine pulled out a crayon and scribbled:

Julia, I'm just one guy. I haven't had any guest bloggers yet. Sooner or later your cat is going to die, but in the case of Persians that can happen a hell of a lot sooner than it should. I've seen that it affects humans as well and I don't know what to say. I just wish I could find out why it's inoperable.

As far as your cat, before you or your husband rip the breeder apart take your cat in for a sonogram. Feline PKD can be detected as early as three months and always after one year. Plus: shaved bellies need no combing for weeks.

Those flat-faced fuckers grow on you awful fast, huh? I wish I'd known sooner so I could've got the K/D food; in the long run it would've been cheaper than the fucking vet bills and meds (EPO). It also could've added a year or two to their lives.

11 September, 2007 03:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home

In compliance with $MegaCorp's general policies as well as my desire to
continue living under a roof and not the sky or a bus shelter, I add this:

DISCLAIMER:
The views expressed on this blog are my own and
do not necessarily reflect the views of $MegaCorp, even if every
single one of my cow-orkers who has discovered this blog agrees with me
and would also like to see the implementation of Root Cause: 17-Fuckwit.