Thursday, September 06, 2007

A Good Start

Hot coffay? Check.
Cold soda water? Check.
Mail? Checked. Nothing important.
Let's see what we have to deal with today:

Hello Support,
Hi there.

We are seeing strange behaviour with data and time zone.
OK, what kind of problem is it exactly?

Our DB and operating systems are set to operate in Atlantic Time Zone. We found some discrepancies with time stamps on tickets created by people in EST. In many cases the created date/time is larger than resolved time.
Right. I can think of only two things that you did wrong to cause this and it should be pretty simple to fix. I can probably explain everything in a single-page mail. Did you send me screenshots or logs?

I would like to speak with support in this regard. Please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. [signed, Sanjay]
Not a fucking chance. Instead of doing this in writing so that I can spell everything out for you which you can then print out and follow carefully, you want to get me on the phone to listen to you droning on, repeatedly asking the same damned questions while ignoring anything I say. You'll forget half my answers and confuse the other half. This will result in you destroying your production system, the blame for which you'll lay on me as you call up screaming to escalate the issue while I'm asleep. Your company even has pull and might be able to get some VP to wake my sorry ass up at 3:00a.m. to groggily try and walk you through all the fixes your complete mess of a system will then need.

I'll leave this one for smart-assed n00bs who'll look through our Knowledge Base, figure it for a cherry, take it and then slog through for a couple of weeks. At some point said n00b will ask me for help. I'll send an answer earning me an Assist, sometimes better than racking up another ticket.

Metrics sorted, colleague assisted and no aggro from another fuckwit. What a way to start the day. If only the coffay wasn't absolute shit.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous pulled out a crayon and scribbled:

Coffay - great reminder. Been at my desk since 0630, tea isn't doing it for me.

This post reminds me of the interview question where they try to suss out what you =really= do in your job? "So, what are typical questions you're asked at work in the course of a week."

Methinks this would be a really unfair question for you. Somehow the questions requiring competence don't stand out in my memory. It's the questions like the call from an engineer in a just-acquired plant somewhere in the mid-west: "Hi Molly, this is Ralph. They're sending me to England next week and I need a passport. Sharon in HR said to ask you, since you travel all the time. So can I borrow your passport? You could send it in with the files accounting is getting out to us tomorrow."

12 September, 2007 10:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home

In compliance with $MegaCorp's general policies as well as my desire to
continue living under a roof and not the sky or a bus shelter, I add this:

DISCLAIMER:
The views expressed on this blog are my own and
do not necessarily reflect the views of $MegaCorp, even if every
single one of my cow-orkers who has discovered this blog agrees with me
and would also like to see the implementation of Root Cause: 17-Fuckwit.